Families are Forever

Monday, December 27, 2010

2010 Year End and on to 2011

I have some time to breathe and get caught up on some things. I was rather crafty this year when it came to presents for Grandpa Raul and Justin's parents this year. I decided to make the presents for them. I made them each a fleece blanket and pillow cases.
The material above is the material that I used for the blanket. It stated Live, Love, Laugh and had wine glasses on it. It reminded me of Grandpa Raul. He told me though right now he is not on the wine cycle but is on the chocolate and sweets cycle. The pillowcases were a Susan Winget fabric and it was pine cones and pine branches.
I finally got pillowcases made for Justin from the fish fabric that he picked out a year ago. I really used my gift from last year to make gifts this year. I am starting to plan the gifts that I will make next year and give to people. I also thought of somethings that I can make up and have on hand if there is a birthday or anniversary and we need something. I was told that the gifts I did last year and the few that I did this year were very creative and different. I hope I can keep that going.
Michael was very excited with his gifts this year. He had gone to Big 5 and found some shoes that he wanted just before Christmas. I had him put them on hold and then went back and got them with the intent to give them to him as a gift. I also had him pick out a new baseball glove that he wanted for the upcoming season. I went and got that too. I had the box from an order that I had just received from Boy Scouts and so he was totally thrown that here was this box and I had it packed in such a way he was totally stumped as to what it could be. We had been at Costco around Thanksgiving and he saw a sled/bodyboard and since it was under budget we got that as well. I had the large bags for wrapping and it was behind the tree. We were able to surprise him with his gifts this year which was a nice change.
Justin was totally surprised that I was able to find a game for his PS3 that he had been searching for months for. I also got him a charging system for the controllers for the system as well so that they can be charged together and not just one at a time. I found a jacket and 2 shirts that he wanted as well. I know that he was shocked and overwhelmed. He was kind of upset to think that I only had 3 presents to open when he had about 6.
Justin got me a Pan digital ereader. I am rather excited as I can carry that with multiple books and it fits in my bag. It can also access the Internet, email, etc. Not too bad. Michael gave me the Whistle Stop Cafe cookbook as well as an Indian Cookbook that I had wanted. So over all not a bad Christmas for us.
We felt so bad as Grandpa Raul was alone for the Holidays. We made sure to call him and make sure that he was okay and let him know that we love him. He spent most of the day at church serving at masses. I guess not a bad way to spend Christmas but we would have liked it if he was here with us and able to relax and enjoy. Had to laugh as he said that he had tamales and he had eaten some of them. When we were talking about it he said that his favorite was pork with red chili so I guess that I better work on making them and see if I can have some for him next year. Not a bad thing to have to work on to perfect. LOL!
We have been blessed this past year with great friends and good times as many blessings and tender mercies from our Heavenly Father. The last fight/hurdle that we had for the year was that the VA was trying to declare him incompetent and that he would have to appoint a fiduciary's. We were able to get good direction from Brother Palmer at church who had actually worked with the VA and visited with vets that were declared incompetent. He had advised us that we should get letters from Justin's psychologist, psychiatrist, and any creditors that we could that would vouch that he was competent to handle his finances. The greatest letter came from his psychiatrist Dr. Alan Radant who stated that most that were incompetent were ones that had issues paying rent, basic necessities, gambled or drank and in the entire time that he had been a patient that had never been the case. The same was also stated by Dr. Jerry Butler his psychologist. They notified us on the 21st of this month that they signed off and that Justin was deemed competent. What a weight lifted!
This year has given me medical/prescription insurance since Justin's disability rating is now 100% totally and permanent. This is such a huge relief as well.
We were not sure in November when we got the letter from Dr. Radant if we would ever get home. On November 22nd we had gone over to Seattle for Justin's appointment and then after we decided to go to the Supermall in Auburn. We do not get to go often so we took the time. We got Justin something from Casual Male XL Outlet store, had lunch and then headed home. We thought we would be home in an hour or so we thought. I decided that I would drive around instead of going back up and taking the ferry. That ended up being a good choice and must have been a prompting from the Lord. Once we crossed the Tacoma Narrows bridge and got close to the Kitsap County line the weather decided to go south. Snow up here is rather out of the ordinary and so it does not take much to shut down most everything. The closer we got to thinking we would be getting home the longer it took. We were on the road for about 4.5 hours for what should have been about an hour drive.
The snow became heavier and it grew colder. The speed we could travel was slower too. The scary part was when we were coming around the bend in the sound/bay and people were not paying attention to the road and that it had become like driving on a bed of ice. We got stuck when someone ended up backed into the center divide and everyone stopped. I was up on the shoulder as I was trying to keep traction and just kept saying/praying "Don't Stop". Well, needless to say I started to slide sideways and just kept praying that I would not hit the car(s) beside us. Thank heavens we stopped and did not hit anyone. I finally got moving again and got past it. We spent about the next 3 hours trying to go less than two miles. We sat at one corner for over 45 minutes. The hard part was that we live in a very hilly area. You must go up and down hills at some point. We finally got to an area where I could get around and I said prayers each time that I knew that I had to deal with a hill. Justin was very anxious and I did my very best to stay calm. I was able to get over all the hills and get home. We noticed on the corner that most were without power. We got home and were rather relieved that we had power. Well that was until we got to the door of the house. Poof! Power went out. It was about 7PM. We were lucky. We sat around for a bit to talk and unwind. We gave up and went to bed at about 8:30PM. I fell asleep because I was exhausted from the drive. I was awakened by the light in the room around 11PM so I guess we did not turn off switches before we went to bed. I got up, turned off lights and fell right back in bed. Over all we only had about 6 inches of so of the white stuff but it shut down the entire peninsula until Thanksgiving. We had prepared and we were safe. We had our fireplace and blankets so we made it through. Others were not so lucky as many were still without power on Thanksgiving.
The year is drawing to a close. It has been a good year and although we have had our bumps it has been smoother that others. Michael is now 14 and will go to the Multi-Stake New Years Eve celebration. They go ice skating and then to a Ward building for more festivities. It is over at about 12:15A. Justin and I get a nice, well hopefully quiet, (if they do not light off too many fireworks, that does a number on Justin) evening at home. I will make a Prime Rib Roast and then Ribs for New Years Day. I guess it could be worse. I could have to pay for those dinners if we were to go out.
I will still be working on perfecting Indian dishes this year. I am looking forward to it. Bring it on 2011, we are looking forward to a new year. Tomorrow, Justin sees Dr. Butler for the last time as he is retiring and then has an appointment on the 7th with a new Dr. to continue the work with the PTSD. We will see what happens and if it is a good fit. Dr. Chalmers seems to be very good on paper anyway. We will take each day as it comes. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

No comments: